Merry Christmas and thanks for all your support this year!
By Wayne Mulqueen
Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Focus on the Family New Zealand has had a terrific year with a whirlwind of activity, new staff hires, and networking with many other Christian ministries around the country.
In these turbulent times there are many distractions for the family, for mum and dad, and for our children or grandchildren. It can be far too easy to become lost in these distractions and find ourselves moving away from the one true central point and sure compass in life, Jesus. This is precisely why all of our work is focused firmly on pointing people back to Christ.
We don’t just offer individuals, families and churches smart solutions, we offer a better way, His way.
Looking back, here are some of the the highlights from 2015 - 'A Year to Build':
- We employed Brendan Malone as our full time educator and head of media to help increase our outreach effectiveness in NZ.
- We held our first 'Focus Institute' internship for young adults on Christian worldview.
- We received the first ultrasound machines for our Option Ultrasound crisis-pregnancy care programme.
- We launched a NEW Website, Blog, Facebook page and YouTube channel.
- We produced a new practical porn-proofing video resource for parents
- We launched the 'Irreplaceable' and 'Dropbox' documentaries across NZ.
- We launched 'Blossom', our post abortion care support network.
- We launched the 'Heart-link Endowment Fund', which provides Crisis Pregnancy care clinics with free printed resources to give to their female clients.
- We were invited to speak about the risks of Internet pornography and the work we are doing in this area, along with NZ's Chief Censor and the Assistant Privacy Commissioner, at a special event in December hosted by Internet NZ.
- We had more than 2000 people attend one of our events, or participate in a Valiant Man or Passion Pursuit programme!
Looking towards 2016 - 'A Year of Mercy' - here is what we’re planning:
- Host the Adventures in Odyssey film crew in March to film a NZ version of their kids programme.
- Launch 'Covenant Eyes' internet accountability and filtering software for families.
- Launch 'The Heart of Dating' documentary during the 2016 Marriage Week.
- Launch the amazing new 'Family Project' DVD teaching resource with international speakers and host Tim Sisarich.
- Host the 'New Zealand Christian Medical Care' conference for NZ Christian medical practitioners.
- Drive deeper with the Valiant Man and Passion Pursuit programmes.
- Aim to add 300 new $30-per-month donors to add much-needed strength to our finances.
Our God is a wonderful provider, and His blessings on the ministry have been truly immense in 2015, and we believe that the year ahead promises even more in our efforts to build a renewed culture of life, marriage and family here in NZ.
If you would like to know more about any of these projects, please contact me directly to find out more.
As Christmas Day draws ever closer, remember that this is the season to be merciful and tender with your family even if it means going to the ones you haven't talked to for a while. Practice generosity, give of yourself fully, and lets all slow down and be grateful for how we got here and who it was that brought us through another year.
We love you, we value you, and we will be praying that God gives you and your family His most richest of blessings over this Christmas and new year break!
Peace be with you!
National Director, Focus on the Family NZ