Talking to Kids About Media Discernment
Here are some questions that may help you engage your young person and crack open the door to media discernment:
- What is it about this form of entertainment that attracts you?
- Why do you like this particular style/genre/show more than others?
- Why do you listen or watch? (If its simply because friends do, ask, Why do your friends listen to or watch it?)
- How does this form of entertainment make you feel?
- Do the themes reflect reality? Do they reflect truth? If they reflect reality, do they also gloss over evil?
- How do the messages conveyed compare with the values you've been taught here at home or in church?
- Do you think these messages have any effect on how close you' feel to your family, friends or God? Why or why not?
- Would you feel comfortable if Jesus sat here listening to or watching this with you? Do you think He'd care? What do you think He'd say about this particular entertainment title?
- Does this entertainment have an opinion of God? What is it?
- What would happen if you imitated the lifestyles and choices of the characters in these songs or this programme?
- Is there inappropriate entertainment? Where would you draw the line? Where does the Bible draw the line? Are they the same?
- How does it make you feel to know that by purchasing a CD, going to a movie or watching a TV show you are supporting the morals and ideas that its promoting?
- What are the major, minor and subtle messages being conveyed through this entertainment? Do you agree or disagree with them?
- Do you think some people might take the messages literally? What could that lead to?